Thursday, December 2, 2010

I rescued some books today!

Yes, it's true. They were hiding in the back of the thrift store, lonely and unwanted and calling out to me. Everyone in the know knows that since the the thrift store is closed on Mondays for restocking, you have to go there on Tuesdays to get the good books. Tuesdays actually get kind of competitive, so being the non-confrontational type who can't bring herself to elbow grandma out of the way, I wait until Wednesday.One day I'll be empowered enough to fight for my literary rights.  Until then, I shop on a Wednesday with a shelf full of this weeks rejects. Here's what I picked out:



Wibur Smith's "The Seventh Scroll". I'm pretty sure I've read this at some point before, but I have a weakness for books set in exotic locales and will be happy to give this one another read. Wilbur Smith is kind of a guilty pleasure, sometimes I really like him, and other times I'm a little appalled at the treatment some of his characters recieve and the stereotypes they perpetuate. But anyways....

James Frey "A Million Little Pieces". This one was a bit of a cheat since I snagged it from the elderly volunteer before she could put it on the shelf. This book is way too new and well reviewed to be amongst the rest of the books there. I have fairly high hopes for it and can't believe I didn't pick it up when it was new. My subconcious must have known I'd find it for 50 cents one day.

Robert Ludlum's "The Arctic Event". Hey, it's set in Canada, where all great conspiracy stories take place. Just kidding. I'm wondering, though, why there are so many conspiracy/disaster type books set in the arctic. Is there something going on up there I should know about? On the jacket Booklist says "Exciting...a winner." I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment